- Student FAQs – these are based on the most common questions we’ve received, so they should cover any burning questions on the social aspects of university or college, financial support and studying at university or college.
- Care leavers guide - why tick the box in Apply? (251.64 KB)– a guide for students. If any of your students have lived in care, and they’re applying for higher education, we would encourage them to tick the box in the care question on their UCAS application. This hand-out provides an overview of why they should tick the box. Read our blog explaining the three key reasons why students should tick the box.
- To help you support a care experienced person applying to university, we've added a new training module to our Professional Development Platform. Sign in to take the module and explore our other training resources for teachers and advisers.
- 10 essentials for inspiring and supporting young people in care to go on to higher education – communication for those supporting care leavers – for you to forward to those who inspire and support young people in care to go on to higher education.
- To find out more about why applicants are asked whether they’re a care leaver on their uni application, and where care leavers can find support, take a look at our blog, written by Ben Jordan, Senior Policy Executive, at UCAS.
Information and advice to help you support care leavers
The Office for Students (OfS) is responsible for regulating fair access and participation in England. Their good practice advice on the preparation of access and participation plans for 2019/20 includes updated information about on the current challenges around access, success, and progression for care leavers.
Information and advice for your care leavers
Become – the charity for children in care and young care leavers: Direct your students to Become’s website Propel. Here they’ll find general information about moving into higher education from care, alongside specific details about the support individual unis and colleges across the UK offer. Each uni or college has its own page, containing an overview of its courses and the specific support it can give care leavers. This will help them make informed choices, and make sure they're aware of all the support they're entitled to.
Become also publishes a series of factsheets to support young people leaving care. These factsheets cover topics such as financial support post-18, getting support to go to university, and understanding pathway plans.