Accepted a teacher training place? Three things you need to do now you have a firm offer

Thursday 10 January 2019, Teacher Training


Accepted a teacher training place? Three things you need to do now you have a firm offer


If you’ve accepted a firm offer of a place on a teacher training programme, there are some important things you’ll need to do now.

Conditions to meet?

Even if your offer is unconditional, you may still have to meet some non-academic requirements, like a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. or declaration of criminal convictions. You’ll be told what these conditions are, but if you’re unsure, contact the training provider as soon as possible to confirm.

Do you need to send proof?

If you’ve met all the academic requirements in full, you may need to provide the training provider with proof. Make sure you do so as soon as possible, to avoid any delays when the training programme starts. It’s best to keep copies of everything you send to the training provider, and when you sent it, as a record in case anything goes missing.

Arranging student finance?

The sooner you apply for finance, the more likely it is to be in place when your training programme starts. There are various funding sources to support you through your training programme. UCAS does not arrange student finance, but there are different options you can check out:

  • If you are on a non-salaried postgraduate programme, you may be eligible for a bursary or training grant. The level of funding will depend on the subject you choose to teach, and your degree classification. Both elements will be assessed by your teacher training provider. Find out more about funding in England and Wales.
  • If you’re looking to train on a non-salaried programme, and you’re not eligible to receive a bursary or grant, you can apply for a student loan to cover your training programme fees and living costs. Apply through your regional funding organisation – Student Finance England or Student Finance Wales.
  • You may be entitled to Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) for physical or mental impairments, long-term or mental health conditions, or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia. Check if you are entitled to additional support and funding.

Before you start your course

Find out more about preparing for teacher training