To support UCAS through the delivery of an excellent legal service, including the timely provision of pragmatic, robust, business-friendly advice and solutions. Support all parts of the business, in all areas of the law, and work with various teams throughout the business to achieve strategic objectives and outcomes.
- Closing date
- 1 Apr 2018
- Up to £32,000
- Full-time or part-time
- Finance and Corporate Services
About the Finance and Corporate Services department
The Finance and Corporate Services department manages and supports initiatives in the business that drive organisational performance, efficiency, delivery, and implementation. It brings together a number of organisation-wide functions, activities, and support services, based on specialised knowledge, best practices, processes, and technology to serve our internal and external customers and business partners.
The department is made up of Finance, Legal and Compliance, and Procurement. Together, our goal is to lead on the empowerment of the organisation to deliver customer value faster, with an acceptable level of risk, and to safeguard and optimise the return on the company’s financial and physical assets, through provision of highly professional, customer-focussed finance, legal, facilities, and procurement services.
About the role
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Provide accurate, robust, pragmatic, timely, and proactive legal advice and solutions to the legal issues faced by the UCAS group of companies. The role may at times encompass all areas of law arising in the operation of the business.
- Work on matters including data protection, FOI, antibribery, and equality and diversity.
- Contracts and contract management
- General contractual advice, and effective management of contractual disputes.
- Advise on general commercial matters as they arise within the context of a charity and its commercial trading subsidiary.
- Maintain a database of contracts, and develop and oversee an orderly and complete contract management process.
- Conduct a review of existing contracts and caseload with a view to establishing organic savings.
- Draft and advise ad hoc contracts.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of a legal precedent library of knowhow, and UCAS standard terms documents.
- Assist with the drafting and delivery of in-house legal training, and sharing of legal best practice with the Legal Team and stakeholders in the business.
- Continual horizon scanning of changes in law for effective and proactive legal risk management, to futureproof UCAS’ business and operations.
- Assist and advise on areas of intellectual property, and take appropriate enforcement action where required.
- Work effectively as part of the FCS department and wider business. Maintain good communication with the Principal Legal Counsel, raising any issues, problems, or time pressures as soon as possible.
Up to £32,000 with 25 days annual leave, voluntary flexible benefits, paid volunteering days, and a contributory stakeholder pension. It’s not just about the financial benefits that UCAS offers – on-site you can also benefit from our restaurant, affordable gym membership, free parking, unlimited tea and coffee, and many other perks. You’ll enjoy an exciting, agile working environment, with a vibrant culture and flexible approach to work, all of which reflects our teamwork and innovative spirit.
How to apply
You will receive an email confirming that your application has reached us. We endeavour to contact all candidates before or soon after the closing date. However, due to high volumes of applications, we may not be able to contact all candidates. If you do not hear from us, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
All information you send to us will be kept in line with the Data Protection Act 1998. UCAS is committed to equality and values diversity in our workforce. We welcome and encourage applications from all candidates in line with the Equality Act 2010.
We reserve the right to close this job vacancy prior to the advertised closing date, if we feel we have found a suitable candidate.