The Software Engineer will plan and deliver our integration implementation and associated technologies, as part of our future landscape for admissions.
- Closing date
- 29 Jan 2017
- £35,000 – £40,000
- Full-time or part-time
About the Technology department
Technology delivers digital products and services used by applicants, providers, advisers, and commercial partners, while ensuring UCAS has a ‘digital by default’ infrastructure. UCAS is currently in a phase of digital acceleration – our approach is responsive, agile, and customer-focused.
The Technology department is divided into four primary functions – Technology Development, Technology Experience, Service Management, and Enterprise Architecture. As we develop our services, our teams work seamlessly in a digital ecosystem that balances the needs of learners and education providers, and ultimately adds value to the learner journey.
If you have a thirst to be at the cutting edge of technology and thrive off a fast-paced technical environment, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Deliver strategic integration of COTS, legacy systems, data providers, and preferably new API-led connectivity via the Mulesoft Anypoint Platform, or using Java Spring Framework.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of existing UCAS applications and systems.
- Work alongside key technical roles to ensure compliance to UCAS’ coding and design standards.
- Work in agile software teams to deliver high quality software against tight deadlines.
- Work with the Integration Team, Solution Architect, and Product Owner to deliver simple and complex integrations using Mule ESB.
- Provide technical input and innovation utilising technical skills.
- Code and configure solutions using software teams, coding standards, and tools.
- Create and maintain automated test libraries.
- Develop and prototype investigations (or spikes) and user stories.
- Be aware of the product road map with reference architecture, technical requirements, and prioritisation.
- Streamline the software delivery process by promoting continuous integration and a continuous deployment model.
- Collaborate in scrum teams, and with Change and Release Management and IT Partners, sharing knowledge and best practice to ensure seamless delivery to customers.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant computing discipline, or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience of enterprise integration, ideally using Mule ESB (Cloudhub), or through Java Spring.
- Experience Integrating COTS, internal/external data providers, legacy systems, and ideally other API-led connectivity.
- Experience contributing to designing and coding technical solutions using:
- technologies: Java, J2ee, Spring, MuleESB, Groovy, Hibernate, Junit/Munit, SOAP, REST, RAML/WSDL, XML, XSD/XSLT, XPath, JSON, Messaging (SNS, JMS)
- databases: Mongo DB, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- servers: Tomcat, IBM WebSphere, Web Logic, Glassfish, Apache
- tools: Anypoint Studio (API Designer, DataWeave, Build to Deploy), Maven/Gradle, Git, Eclipse IDE, Soap UI, Junit, Munit, Confluence, JIRA, Bamboo
- methodologies: agile, scrum, Test Driven Development (TDD), Continuous Integration (CI)
- Knowledge of rest APIs and integration via APIs, design patterns, and principles (preferably integration patterns).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate effectively to technical audiences.
- Experienced in designing and building usable and scalable systems and applications.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, large scale, agile change initiative with multiple technologies.
- Experience developing for the Cloud, specifically AWS.
- Experience of test-driven development alongside use of automated test frameworks, mocking/stubbing, and Junit/Munit.
- Experience using Behaviour Driven Development with Cucumber.
£35,000 – £40,000 with 25 days annual leave, voluntary flexible benefits, paid volunteering days, and a contributory stakeholder pension. It’s not just about the financial benefits that UCAS offers – on-site you can also benefit from our restaurant, affordable gym membership, free parking, unlimited tea and coffee, and many other perks. You’ll enjoy an exciting, agile working environment, with a vibrant culture and flexible approach to work, all of which reflects our teamwork and innovative spirit.
How to apply
You will receive an email confirming that your application has reached us. We endeavour to contact all candidates before or soon after the closing date. However, due to high volumes of applications, we may not be able to contact all candidates. If you do not hear from us, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
All information you send to us will be kept in line with the Data Protection Act 1998. UCAS is committed to equality and values diversity in our workforce. We welcome and encourage applications from all candidates in line with the Equality Act 2010.
We reserve the right to close this job vacancy prior to the advertised closing date, if we feel we have found a suitable candidate.