Changes for EU applicants

2021 applicants from the EU, EEA and Switzerland

As the Brexit transition period has now ended, a number of changes have come into effect for UK university and college admissions for EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals, as well as the immigration rules that apply to students from these countries.

Tuition fee status and access to student finance

For some EU students, there may be exceptions which mean you will still be eligible for home fees and student finance as in previous years’ arrangements. This includes students from the Republic of Ireland. For the majority though, this means you will be asked to pay overseas fees and you will not be eligible for student finance.

However, the tuition fee and funding rules for 2020/21 have not been published yet. These rules are used by UK universities and colleges, and other organisations, to decide what fees to charge and which students are eligible for student finance such as tuition fee loans or grants.

The UK governments have confirmed that EU students who started their course in 2020/21 or earlier will continue to be eligible for home fee status and student finance until they finish their studies.

It is expected that EU nationals who are ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ in the UK will remain eligible for home tuition fees and student finance providing they meet residency requirements. This has been confirmed in government announcements and full details will be available from the different UK governments soon.

What tuition fees will I be charged by UK universities and colleges?

UK universities and colleges have started to confirm their tuition fees, and whether they will offer any scholarships or bursaries to EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals. Please check the universities’ or colleges’ websites for more information.

As the tuition fee and funding rules have not been published in full, some universities and colleges may not yet have decided your fee status. Alternatively, they may have assessed your fee status as ‘overseas’. If you think you are eligible for home fee status, please contact the admissions office at your university or college.

Will I need to get a student visa?

All international students starting a course in the UK after 31 December 2020 will need to apply for a Student visa. This includes those from Europe coming to the UK to study, although students from the Republic of Ireland will not require a visa. 

You can check if you need a visa to study in the UK here.

If you are from the EU and you started your course in the UK before 31 December 2020, you can apply under the EU Settlement scheme to remain in the UK after this date to complete your studies.

Where can I find out more?

The UK’s Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) offers lots of information and advice for students on:

You can also find information on the Student visa from the UK government’s website

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme