If you decide to take a break or withdraw from your studies, you need to contact Student Finance England and let your university or college know as soon as possible. Content provided by Student Finance England.
Relevant to

Student Finance England will reassess the amount of student finance you should get based on the number of days you attended your course. If you’ve withdrawn completely, they’ll also stop any future payments to you or your university or college. You’ll then get a new student finance entitlement letter telling you how much you’re entitled to.

Taking a break because of an illness, or another reason

You can still get full student finance for 60 days. Student Finance England may be able to extend your funding for more than 60 days if you’d otherwise be in financial hardship.

If you’ve suspended your studies for any other reason, such as caring responsibilities or bereavement, you might still be able to get student finance during some or all of your time off.

If you’ve withdrawn from your studies and were paid a grant or a bursary, Student Finance England may take into account any financial hardship that could be caused by stopping your student finance for that term.

You’d need to send Student Finance England evidence of your situation, such as a letter from a medical professional, bank statements, or evidence of financial obligations. Each case will be assessed on an individual basis.

If you've been paid too much

If you’ve left your course early, this might mean you’ve been overpaid.

Usually, Student Finance England will just take the amount from any future payments you’re due. For example, if you’re overpaid by £300 and are due a future payment of £1,000, they’ll pay you £700 instead.

If you’re not due any future payments, they’ll contact you about alternative ways to repay. If you haven’t been overpaid, you’ll repay your loan as normal.

Tuition fees

If you leave your course before term three, Student Finance England won’t make any more Tuition Fee Loan payments to your university or college.

You’ll still be responsible for paying back any Tuition Fee Loan they’ve paid to your university, but not until your income is over the repayment threshold.

If you don’t tell Student Finance England about a change to your circumstances, you might end up being overpaid. In this case, you might have to start repaying earlier and before your income is over the repayment threshold.

Taking a break or withdrawing from your course could also affect any student finance you can get in the future.


Was this page helpful?

Yes  No