How do I find training programmes starting in 2021?
You can now search for training programmes starting in 2021:
- For programmes in England, you'll need to use the Department for Education's 'Find postgraduate teacher training' service.
- For programmes in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, you'll need to use UCAS' search tool.
When can I apply for training programmes starting in 2021?
Where you want to study will determine how you should apply. If you’re looking to apply for a postgraduate teacher training programme in:
- Wales – complete the UCAS Teacher Training application from 13 October.
- England – you can complete the UCAS Teacher Training application or, depending on where you want to train, you could apply using a new GOV.UK service – but it’s limited to a small number of programmes.
- Northern Ireland – take a look at our dedicated advice.
- Scotland – complete a UCAS Undergraduate application.
What are the routes into teaching?
There are different types of teaching and ways to qualify, so it's important to choose the right training programme. Initial Teacher Education or Training (ITET) programmes across the UK are broadly similar, however, the routes differ depending on where in the UK you plan to train.
- Training to teach in England
- Training to teach in Wales
- Training to teach in Scotland
- Training to teach in Northern Ireland
There are essential academic and non-academic criteria you’ll need to meet to be eligible to apply for teacher training programmes. Some training providers may also have specific recruitment criteria. Once you’ve decided on the type of training programme you want to study, you can speak to your chosen training providers to find out more information before applying.
We don’t arrange student finance, but we can give you information and advice about funding and support to help point you in the right direction.
Whether you are a career changer, or taking the next step, training to teach can be a big investment. However, there’s often funding available to help you. What you’re eligible for will depend on what teacher training route you choose, where in the UK you live, and the subject you want to teach.