You are here

Diploma in Education and Training programmes in England

Non-graduate Level 5 teaching qualifications for the further education and skills sector.
Relevant to

Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET) programmes are the recognised teaching qualification for the post-16 sector. You can become a post-16 teacher in England without a teaching qualification, but it’s a definite advantage to have one, as many employers expect them.

  • The Diploma in Education and Teaching (DET) – formerly known as the Diploma to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS) – is equivalent to the second year of a UK bachelor’s degree.
  • It is a popular route for prospective teachers who want to pursue a career in further education, or currently hold an FE teaching role and want to gain a full teaching qualification.
  • Level 5 Diploma programmes typically last one to two years. You can choose a university or college-led pre-service training route, or work as an unqualified further education teacher while training part-time.
  • If you chose a university-led programme, the qualification may be called Professional Certificate in Education (PCE) or Certificate in Education (CertEd), both of which meet the requirements of the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training.
  • You can apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status once you’ve successfully completed your training. Once achieved, QTLS is equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England, allowing you to work as a qualified teacher in state schools. For more information about QTLS, including eligibility and registration, visit the Society for Education and Training website.

Entry requirements

You must have achieved the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training programmes:

  • You must have a minimum of 100 hours of teaching experience.
  • You’ll need to have achieved Level 2 skills in English or mathematics, or Level 3 if you are taking units in teaching literacy or numeracy.
  • Some training providers may ask you to complete tests to demonstrate suitable levels of literacy, numeracy, and ICT skills before admission.
  • You must also meet some non-academic requirements, including a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, and declaration of criminal convictions.

Fees and funding

The amount providers charge varies – for UK and EU students, it can be up to £9,250 per year for a full-time programme starting in 2018. It’s a big investment, but there’s often funding available to help you. UCAS does not arrange student finance, but we can give you information and advice about funding and support to help point you in the right direction.

How to apply

UCAS Undergraduate is the scheme to apply for the main university-led routes, and most (but not all) college-led Level 5 Diploma programmes.

Explore your options

All undergraduate and non-graduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT) programmes will qualify you to be a teacher, but there are differing levels of qualifications that can be achieved. Find out more about university and college-led teacher training routes in England.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No