You are here

Undergraduate degree plus postgraduate training in England

BA or BSc degree followed by postgraduate initial teacher training to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Relevant to

You can study for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, then train to teach after you graduate. Following your undergraduate degree, you can apply for a postgraduate teacher training programme to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

  • To train as a primary or secondary teacher in England, you can choose either a university-led or school-led route. Most will also lead to a postgraduate qualification, usually a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
  • With university-led programmes, you’ll conduct the majority of your study at your university or college, but you’ll also spend time being trained in at least two schools.
  • With school-led programmes, you’ll receive hands-on training in a school from day one, where you’ll learn from experienced teachers.
  • Typically, undergraduate programmes last three years, with postgraduate teacher training taking a year to complete as you work towards your Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) recommendation.
  • If you are considering teaching after you graduate, you may wish to choose an undergraduate degree in a relevant national curriculum subject. If the undergraduate degree you choose isn't closely related to the subject you want to teach, you may still be able to apply for postgraduate teacher training after you graduate by taking a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course.

Fees and funding

The amount training providers charge varies – for UK and EU students, it can be up to £9,250 per year for a full-time undergraduate programme starting in 2018. UCAS does not arrange student finance, but we can give you information and advice about funding and support to help point you in the right direction.

If you're considering postgraduate initial teacher training, you may be eligible for funding. For certain in-demand subjects, you can apply for a tax-free scholarship or bursary to support your postgraduate training. Find out more about postgraduate funding options.

Applications and entry requirements

Firstly, you must be planning to study an undergraduate degree awarded by a higher education provider in England.

Following your undergraduate degree, you can apply for up to three postgraduate training programmes on your UCAS Teacher Training application. It’s worth considering a combination of different routes when you apply. Find out more about university and school-led postgraduate initial teacher training programmes in England.

Before you apply, you must make sure you have achieved the following minimum requirements to be eligible for postgraduate initial teacher training programmes:

  1. You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
  2. If you intend to train to teach pupils aged three to 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
  3. You'll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training degree. Some training providers may require you to complete them before your interview, or ask you to complete them by a certain date as a condition of your offer. Find out more in our professional skills tests blog.
  4. As teaching involves working with children on a daily basis, there are also some non-academic requirements you'll also need to meet.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No