You can apply for Initial Teacher Training programmes to graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Bachelor of Education (BEd) degrees are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers, but some universities do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for certain specialisms. Alternatively, you could study for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) education degree. These have a greater focus on training to teach a specific subject. Courses take between three to four years to complete.
Study mode
  • Full-time
  • Part-time
Study level
Course type
Teaching qualifications
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) with QTS
  • Bachelor of Education (BEd) with QTS
  • Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS
Student loans
Application method
UCAS Undergraduate Apply
Classroom experience preferred
School placement
24 weeks in two or more schools
Fees and funding
Fees payable
Undergraduate duration
3 years to 4 years

Bachelor of Education (BEd) with QTS

Bachelor of Education (BEd) teacher training programmes are an undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching, and graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

  • BEd programmes typically last three years, and are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers. Some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for specific specialisms.
  • BEd programmes combine academic study on campus, where you’ll explore the principles of teaching and learning, and placements in at least two schools to help you develop practical skills.
  • Training programme content will vary dependent on the provider, however, students tend to cover core subjects (English, maths, and science) in their initial year of study, before a more in-depth focus on their subjects and teaching practice.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS

Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees with QTS are popular with prospective secondary school teachers, and focus on developing specialist subject knowledge required to teach. Your study will also include plenty of time in the classroom, learning practical skills from experienced teachers. 

  • Undergraduate teacher training programmes, such as BA/BSc with QTS, or BEd, are a popular route for primary teachers, and generally last three or four years. There are also some undergraduate teacher training programmes for secondary teachers.
  • Typically, students will explore their chosen specialism in depth during the first year of study, while prospective primary teachers establish a deep understanding of the pedagogy of the teaching of learning.
  • Years two and three of study are centred on school experience to prepare you for the workplace – this may vary depending on the number and length of your school placements.
  • On graduating, you’ll be recommended for QTS, and be ready to start your first teaching job.

Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), and Integrated Master's (MA) opt-in QTS

This undergraduate route allows students to incorporate teacher training part way through their degree course, and graduate with both a degree in their subject and a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), and Integrated Master's (MA) degrees with opt-in QTS take between three to four years to complete.
  • Available in certain subjects, and from a select number of universities in England, opt-in QTS programmes are for prospective secondary school teachers only.
  • Degrees with opt-in QTS allow you to experience classroom teaching before you apply to integrate it into your degree.

Entry requirements

You must have achieved the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for undergraduate Initial Teacher Training programmes:

  1. You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
  2. If you intend to train to teach pupils aged three to 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.

​Some training providers may also have specific entry criteria, so make sure the programme matches your qualifications and experience before you apply. As teaching involves working with children on a daily basis, there are also some non-academic requirements you'll need to meet.

Fees and funding

The amount providers charge varies – for UK and EU students, it can be up to £9,250 per year for a full-time programme starting in 2018. It’s a big investment, but there’s often funding available to help you. UCAS does not arrange student finance, but we can give you information and advice about funding and support to help point you in the right direction.

  • Tuition fee and maintenance loans – you can apply for a student loan to cover your tuition fees and living costs. Find out more from Student Finance England.
  • Extra student funding – if you have dependents, you could access further funding to support your teacher training, such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grants, or Child Tax Credits. The student finance calculator from Student Finance England allows you to estimate the level of funding that may be available.
  • Disabled students and care leavers – universities and colleges have different ways of supporting you in higher education. Check if you are entitled to additional support and funding.
  • Bursaries – a tax-free bursary is available to undergraduate trainees on secondary maths and physics programmes. The same tax-free bursary is also available to trainees on a secondary opt-in mathematics, physics, computing and MFL course, that leads to QTS. For information about the level of funding and eligibility, visit Get Into Teaching.

How to apply

UCAS Undergraduate is the scheme you need to use to search and apply for BEd, BA, and BSc with QTS programmes in England.

To apply for opt-in QTS programmes, you will first need to be accepted onto an undergraduate degree course which offers this option. Applications work in the same way as for other undergraduate degree courses, but we recommend you contact the universities directly before applying.

  • University of Hull – BSc Physics
  • Imperial College – BSc Physics with Science Education
  • The University of Liverpool – MSc Physics
  • Manchester Metropolitan University – BA French Studies 
  • University of Portsmouth – French, Spanish, and German
  • University of Portsmouth – BSc Computing
  • University of Reading – BA Modern Languages 
  • University of Sunderland – BSc Mathematics Education, BSc Physics with Mathematics Education 
  • University of the West of England – BSc Mathematics

Explore your options

All undergraduate and non-graduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT) programmes will qualify you to be a teacher, but there are differing levels of qualifications that can be achieved. Find out more about university and college-led teacher training routes in England.