Childminders care for children in their own home, supporting their learning and development.

What does a child minder do?

A childminder's tasks would typically include:

  • providing inspirational learning activities
  • providing a range of free play activities, both indoors and outside
  • planning, preparing, and serving meals
  • changing nappies and making up bottles for babies
  • taking children on outings
  • taking older children to and from playgroup or school
  • working with other local childcare professionals to support children's learning and development

What do I need to do to become a child minder?

You'll need to get a childcare qualification, and certificates in health and safety, and safeguarding before you register as a childminder.


If you want to care for children under eight for more than two hours a day, you'll need to register with Ofsted. Before you register, you'll usually need:

  • a childcare qualification approved by your local council
  • a paediatric first aid course
  • training in safeguarding children
  • training in food hygiene

First, you should take a look at Ofsted’s pre-registration briefing on becoming a childminder.


You'll need to pass:

Related skills

  • Communication
  • Customer service
  • Interpersonal skills
  • Patience
  • Physical fitness

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

You could work from home. Your working environment may be outdoors some of the time and physically demanding.

Career opportunities

With experience, you could expand your business and take on a childcare assistant. You could also become a network coordinator, supporting other local childminders.

With further training, you could become a tutor on childminding courses. You could also move into a related job like nursery worker, playworker, community play leader, or teaching assistant.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families