Estates officers are responsible for the management and upkeep of land and property.

What does an estates officer do?

Responsible for land and property belonging to local councils and public bodies, such as health authorities and the police, this job can be varied but these are some of the typical tasks that may be involved:

  • organise and check repairs and maintenance
  • make sure properties are being used for their intended purpose
  • deal with tenancy applications and monitor tenancy agreements
  • set and review rents
  • assess the potential of property for both short- and long-term use
  • negotiate with landowners and other interested parties about compulsory purchase or purchase by agreement
  • advise on land-purchase issues
  • attend meetings and work with other departments and organisations
  • analyse financial and other data, and write and present reports
  • keep up-to-date with land management, building control and environmental issues

The role may also involve specialising in lettings, acquisitions or management.

What do I need to do to become an estates officer?

You’ll need good communication skills and the ability to work with people at all levels. Most estates officers have qualifications and experience in relevant areas, for example surveying, building services engineering or construction management. Excellent computer skills will also be needed.

It is common for estates officers to have an HNC, HND or degree in a subject area related to this career. Examples include:

  • building services engineering
  • surveying
  • construction management
  • facilities/estate management

Experience in contract management, property valuation or health and safety may give you an advantage. You will also need to be confident in using spreadsheets and presentation software.

Related skills

  • Communication
  • Interpersonal skills
  • IT
  • Numeracy
  • Organisation
  • Teamwork
  • Time management

Desirable qualifications

  • HNC, HND or degree in a related subject area

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

You could work for local authorities or other organisations such as development corporations and health authorities. As more local authorities are contracting out much of the work of their estate departments, you could also be employed in the private sector.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Job families