What does a florist do?
As a florist you would:
- help customers choose suitable flowers and plants
- make up bouquets and arrangements
- advise customers on flower/plant care
- set up displays, e.g. at conferences or exhibitions
- deliver customers' orders
What do I need to do to become a florist?
You need to love plants and flowers to be a florist. You also need practical skills, creativity and artistic talent. Usually florists train on the job, often completing work-based qualifications. You may be able to start this job through an apprenticeship.
To find work, you need a keen interest in floristry and good customer care skills. Previous experience in retail would be useful although not essential.
You could learn some of the skills needed by taking a floristry course at a local college.