Gas service technicians install, service and repair gas appliances and heating systems.

What does a gas service technician do?

Gas service technicians mainly work at customers' homes, or at businesses like cafes and hotel kitchens. Your job could include:

  • installing appliances and systems – including gas fires, boilers, and shower units
  • carrying out planned maintenance checks on systems and equipment
  • testing controls and safety devices to make sure that they are working properly
  • finding and repairing gas leaks using computerised fault-finding equipment
  • replacing or repairing faulty or old parts
  • ordering new parts when necessary
  • keeping records of work you have carried out
  • giving customers advice about gas safety and energy efficiency

You also give customers quotes for jobs and tell them how long they would take, sell additional company services, and occasionally deal with complaints.

What do I need to do to become a gas service technician?

To fully qualify as a gas service technician you need:

  • a recognised gas industry qualification
  • Gas Safe registration

Recognised gas industry qualifications include Level 3 NVQs and Diplomas. To gain Gas Safe registration, you need a qualification that covers the safety requirements for the type of appliances you want to work on.

You may also be able to get into this career by starting out on the Gas Industry Apprenticeship. Employers will look for at least four GCSEs (A*-C), including maths and English, and another relevant subject such as science, engineering or design and technology.

Related skills

  • Ability to understand technical plans
  • Communication
  • Customer service
  • IT
  • Numeracy
  • Organisation
  • Problem solving
  • Teamwork

Vocational route

  • Level 3 (NVQ) in Domestic Natural Gas Installation and Maintenance
  • Level 3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation
  • Level 3 (NVQ) Diploma in Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas Fired Water and Central Heating Appliances)
  • Gas Industry Apprenticeship

Desirable qualifications

  • Four GCSEs (A*-C), including maths and English, and another relevant subject such as science, engineering or design and technology

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

Most of your work takes place in customers’ homes or premises. You normally need a driving licence, but your employer will supply a van and equipment. The job can be physically demanding and may involve working in small, cramped spaces or at heights.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families