What does a housekeeper do?
A housekeeper's work would involve:
- preparing shift rotas and allocating daily cleaning duties to room attendants
- inspecting rooms to make sure that standards have been met
- recording any faults or damage and making arrangements for repairs
- recruiting, training and supervising staff
- liaising closely with other department heads and the general manager
This role may also involve managing a budget, buying supplies and keeping records of costs.
What do I need to do to become a housekeeper?
You would usually need experience and/or relevant qualifications in the hotel and hospitality industry to become a housekeeper. You may be able to start as a room attendant and work your way up.
Where could I be working?
You could work in hotels or other residential establishments, such as holiday centres, health spas, and private clubs.