Land and property valuer and auctioneer

Valuers and auctioneers give professional advice to those who buy,sell and rent land and property.

What does a land and property valuer and auctioneer do?

Valuers and auctioneers give professional advice to individuals and businesses that buy, sell and rent land and property. They also organise and market auction sales. 

Land and property valuers/auctioneers estimate the market value of land, buildings and commercial property (real estate) for clients, to maximise profit from its sale or rental income. Local authorities also use these valuations to help set council tax and rating levels. Valuers are normally qualified surveyors who specialise in this particular field.

As a land and property auctioneer you would write detailed reports for clients about their assets. Once the client is happy with your findings, you organise the auction sale, market it to attract potential bidders, and manage the auction process itself. You would also carry out other work for clients, including:

  • business and insurance valuations
  • compensation assessments
  • investment appraisals and advice

You would need to be aware of the issues that can influence price, such as location, business potential, and legal, social and economic factors.

You may be able to specialise in dispute resolution, which could include appearing as an expert witness if a party starts formal legal proceedings to sort out a disagreement. You could also specialise in valuing and auctioning machinery if a business closes down or is sold off.

What do I need to do to become a land and property valuer and auctioneer?

You normally need a degree or professional qualification approved by the Royal Institution for Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to become a land and property valuer. Relevant degree subjects include:

  • real estate management
  • property development and valuation
  • building surveying
  • quantity surveying and commercial management

If you have a non-accredited degree - for example economics, law or maths - you could take an accredited postgraduate qualification in surveying through an employer's graduate trainee scheme, or through full-time study. Distance learning options are also available through The College of Estate Management (CEM).

If you have an HNC/HND or foundation degree in surveying, you may be able to find work as a surveying technician. As a technician you can become an Associate member of RICS. You can then progress from Associate level to Chartered level through continuous professional development and by gaining additional qualifications.

Related skills

  • Communication
  • Customer service
  • Interpersonal skills
  • Literacy
  • Numeracy
  • Organisation

Academic route

  • Degree in real estate management, property development and valuation, building surveying, or quantity surveying and commercial management

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

Your job would be a combination of office work and fieldwork. Some auctions may be held outdoors when conditions allow. You would spend some of your time visiting sites and travelling to meet clients, so a driving licence is usually needed. 

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families