Riding holiday centre manager

Riding centre managers are responsible for the centre’s activities, staff and business development.

What does a riding holiday centre manager do?

Riding holiday centre managers run horse-riding schools that offer riding and trekking holidays. They are responsible for the organisation, operation and marketing of the centre, and for the care of the horses.

Day-to-day tasks would typically include:

  • planning and overseeing riding activities
  • arranging a daily routine of horse care and stable management
  • handling queries, problems and complaints
  • recruiting and managing staff, organising work rotas, and arranging training
  • carrying out administrative and financial tasks
  • marketing and promoting the centre
This role also involves developing working relationships with other local countryside and tourism operators.

What do I need to do to become a riding holiday centre manager?

You would need thorough knowledge and experience of working with horses. You can gain this in any of the following ways:

  • on-the-job training
  • attending a college course
  • attending a riding school as a fee-paying student

You may have an advantage with qualifications from the British Horse Society (BHS), the Association of British Riding Schools (ABRS) or the Pony Club, although these may not always be essential.

You may be able to train as a riding instructor, groom or ride leader and progress into management.

You could also prepare for management by completing higher education qualifications. These include foundation degrees, BTEC HNDs and degrees in subjects such as equine studies, equine management and equine leisure management.

To get onto these courses you will need to meet set standards of riding ability as well as academic requirements. You should check with individual colleges and universities for details.

Related skills

  • Business management
  • Communication
  • Customer service
  • Leadership

Desirable qualifications

  • British Horse Society (BHS) qualification
  • Association of British Riding Schools (ABRS) qualification
  • Pony Club qualification

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

Riding and trekking centres are particularly common in rural areas of Wales and Scotland, in coastal areas, and in the Lake District, Exmoor and Dartmoor, although you could find work all over the UK. With experience, you could open your own centre.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families