Security systems installer

Security systems installers fit and service electronic systems.

What does a security systems installer do?

Security systems installers fit and service electronic systems to detect intruders and control access to buildings or sites. They also fit alarms in houses and business premises. 

Security systems installers:

  • discuss security plans with the customer
  • carry out site surveys to work out where to place security devices
  • install security systems and connect them to control panels by WiFi, fibre optic cables and other connections
  • test systems and explain to customers how to operate them
  • check and service existing systems
  • respond to call-outs to repair faulty systems

Work includes fitting systems, such as closed circuit television (CCTV), building access controls, fire and intruder alarms, and other electronic surveillance equipment.

What do I need to do to become a security systems installer?

You don't need any specific qualifications to start as a trainee, although employers may expect you to have GCSEs (A-C), or similar qualifications, in English, maths and science, or a technical subject. Previous experience in electrical or electronics work could be helpful when looking for work.

You could also get into this career by completing a security systems apprenticeship.

Another option is to take a relevant Level 2 college course, which would give you some of the skills and knowledge needed to work in this field.

You also need colour-normal vision and security clearance (a police check). 

Related skills

  • Ability to understand technical plans
  • Attention to detail
  • Communication
  • Problem solving
  • Teamwork

Vocational route

  • Apprenticeship in security systems
  • Level 2 Certificate in Knowledge of Electronic Security and Emergency Systems
  • Level 2 Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Security Systems and Devices Engineering Technology

Desirable qualifications

  • GCSEs (A-C), or similar qualifications, in English, maths and science, or a technical subject

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

You work both indoors and outdoors on a variety of buildings. Your job is likely to involve lifting equipment, and working at heights.

You would travel between jobs, so a driving licence is needed if working on your own.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families