Mark as read

Planned maintenance: 19 – 21 January

We are carrying out planned maintenance on Friday 19 January until Sunday 21 January.

This means at times, you may become disconnected from Apply. Please do not make any changes to your application during the following times:

  • 07:30 – 08:00 (UK time) on Friday 19 January
  • 14:00 – 15:00 (UK time) on Saturday 20 January

Apply will be unavailable between 06:00 – 13:00 (UK time) on Saturday 20 January.

Track will also be unavailable between 09:00 – 11:00 (UK time) on Saturday 20 January.

The UCAS Teacher Training search tool will be unavailable from 18:00 on Friday 19 January until 23:59 (UK time) on Sunday 21 January.

Individual needs

Higher education is an inclusive environment where support can be provided to help people study – both with practical and financial requirements.
Relevant to
Need help viewing this website? Take a look at our accessibility information

Disabled students


We use BrowseAloud on our site. BrowseAloud can read information and advice pages to you using its text-to-speech software. You can also choose to simplify web pages to make them easier to read as well as magnifying text.

To use the service, just select the Listen/translate with BrowseAloud option on our page footer. This will open up the BrowseAloud tool enabling you to use all of BrowseAloud’s features. You do not need to be signed in to use the tool. If you’re using an internet browser other than Google Chrome you’ll need to have Flash installed and enabled to use the software. 

Take a look at our accessibility information for more advice on other features of our website.

Course providers welcome almost 30,000 disabled students each year, meaning there’s already lots of on-campus support available. Most course providers have disability coordinators and advisers.

If you have an impairment, mental health condition, or learning difficulty, it’s a good idea to contact conservatoires to discuss what you might need as early as possible – even before sending your application.

Funding for disabled students

You may be entitled to Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) for physical or mental impairments, long-term or mental health conditions, or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia. This funding covers the cost of the support you need – e.g. specialist equipment and nonmedical helpers – like a note-taker or reader.

  1. First you’ll need either a letter from your doctor or consultant confirming your impairment or health condition, or a diagnostic assessment of your learning difficulty from a psychologist or specialist teacher.
  2. Then you apply for DSA through your regional funding organisation – Student Finance England, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales. It can take up to three months to arrange, so apply early.
  3. If you’re eligible you’ll then have an assessment to work out what you need – find an assessment centre near your course provider via the DSAs Quality Assurance Group website.
  4. Once everything’s arranged, the money will be paid directly to your service/equipment providers, or to your bank account.

Funding for care leavers

If you’re a care leaver applying for an undergraduate higher education course you could get support financially, as well as advice, help settling into higher education and accommodation all year round.

If you’ve been in Local Authority (LA) care you can apply for financial support from your course provider or your LA. Contact your personal adviser, social worker or LA case worker for advice. 

Students not supported by their family (estranged)

Support is available for students who no longer have a relationship with their family and are not supported by them. This can include help with accommodation and finances, as well as health and wellbeing.

For more information, visit the StandAlone student website.