Mark as read

Browse Aloud currently unavailable

The Browse Aloud service is currently unavailable.

Student visas and immigration

If you live outside the UK, you’ll need a Tier 4 student visa to study here – unless you’re an EEA or Swiss national. Find out how to get a student visa.
Relevant to

How to get a student visa

Once you’ve been offered a place on a course, your chosen conservatoire will advise you on how to apply for your student visa from UK Visa and immigration (UKVI).

You can apply up to three months in advance of your course start date. It normally takes up to 15 days, but could be longer at peak times, so make sure you apply early enough.

However, there are a few things you need to do first before you can send off your visa application.

  1. Add your passport number to your application – either when you’re filling out your details, or when you’re offered a place on a course.
  2. Prove your English language skills – your chosen conservatoire can advise you whether you need to take a UKVI approved English language test, or an alternative test or Skype interview. If the visa you’re applying for asks you to prove your English language ability, since 6 April 2015, the secure English language test (SELT) required must be taken in one of the SELT centres approved by the UK Home Office. View the approved secure English language tests and test centres that meet the Home Office’s requirements.
  3. Accept an unconditional offer of a place on a course – then if your conservatoire has a Tier 4 Sponsor licence, they can give you Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  4. Apply for a Tier 4 student visa – make sure you provide all the information and documents required – including your CAS (and English language test certificate if you needed one). You’ll also need to prove you can afford to study and live in the UK – check the UKVI financial requirements and our finance and support information.

Working in the UK after your studies

You might be able to apply for other visas after your course if you’d like to stay in the UK to work.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No