A few things to note
- Not all qualifications attract UCAS Tariff points for various reasons. The university or college you're interested in may accept your qualifications as an appropriate entry route even if they don't attract UCAS Tariff points.
- Not all universities and colleges use the UCAS Tariff. Most prefer to express their entry requirements and make offers in terms of qualifications and grades rather than in Tariff points. Around one third of course entry requirements make reference to the Tariff.
- Tariff points are generally only counted for the highest level of achievement in a subject. This means that you can’t usually count AS levels if you have the full A level in the same subject.
- Tariff points were designed for use by universities and colleges. We don't endorse their use for any other purpose.
This won't be a big change, but if you're starting to apply from September 2016, you'll notice some universities and colleges referring to the new Tariff points.
- All qualifications that are currently on the UCAS Tariff will continue to attract points under the new system.
- New UCAS Tariff points should not have any impact on students' decisions on qualification choices at school or college, or their preparation for higher education.
- The change to new UCAS Tariff points will not in itself change entry requirements for university and college courses.
How Tariff requirements are displayed
- some list their entry requirements and make offers using only Tariff points – with no reference to specific qualifications or grades
- some ask for specific qualifications and a set number of Tariff points
- some link the Tariff points required to specific qualifications and grades
- 280 Tariff points. A levels, Scottish Highers. BTEC National Diplomas are acceptable qualifications
- 280 Tariff points. Points from keys skills, general studies A level, AS levels, key skills and COPE will not be considered
- 280 Tariff points gained from at least three A levels or equivalent 18 unit qualifications
- 280 Tariff points including A levels in chemistry and biology
- 280 Tariff points, including at least grade B and C at A level
- 280 Tariff points, including 120 points in chemistry A level
How to check your Tariff points
You can view the Tariff tables online by clicking on the link below.
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the course provider(s) you're interested in applying to.