Parents and guardians
Helen, a UCAS adviser whose son is making his application to university this year, explains how an open day visit will help your son or daughter choose the right course and gives her tips on how to make the most of the visit.
Helen, a UCAS adviser whose son is making his application to university this year, explains how to find out what it's going to cost.
Helen, a UCAS adviser whose son is making his application to university this year, explains how you can help your son or daughter with their application.
UCAS adviser Helen explains how Clearing can help if your son or daughter doesn't get their results they need to get into their chosen uni.
This video explains how your son or daughter applies and makes choices, and how you can help them.
If you're a parent or guardian of someone applying through UCAS, this signed video will help.
Parent newsletters – sign up
Guides to help you
- Download in-depth information:
- Check the latest definitions of all the terms used in higher education.
- Parents of international applicants: our International undergraduate guide for parents will help you support your son or daughter in applying to study in the UK.
What you need to know about the application process
There are a few different stages to the process – and application deadlines vary depending on the course – so the earlier your son or daughter can get started, the better.
We've created an interactive parent information tool to give you advice, hints and tips to help your son or daughter through the application process.
Know your rights!
Choosing the right course at the right university is an important decision for your son or daughter, involving a significant investment of time and money. Did you know that students have specific rights under consumer law? Universities have obligations to provide the information students need to make informed decisions, as well as obligations to treat them fairly during their studies.
To find out more, take a look at the information on our website.
- Start research early – there are a lot of higher education options to choose from!
- Know the deadlines – for some courses, the application deadline is almost a year in advance of when the course starts.
- Browse through courses – so they can work out what they would enjoy or be interested in.
- Go to UCAS events and course provider open days – speak to us and higher education staff to get answers to their questions.
- Check entry requirements – make sure they can get the grades they need to get a place on a course.
- Redraft their personal statement – get plenty of feedback and refine it until they’re happy.
- Understand student finance – so they can make the best arrangements to fund their studies.
- Be prepared for results day – make sure they’re prepared for all the possible outcomes.
- Understand how Extra and Clearing work – different ways to apply for more courses.
- Visit our Facebook and Twitter regularly to get advice and ask questions.
Did you know?
We have a range of blogs from parents just like you. Click on the link below to read about their experiences of the application process and beyond.