Mark as read

24 March deadline

The deadline for some art and design courses is 18:00 (UK time) on Saturday 24 March.

Find out more about filling in your UCAS Undergraduate application

UCAS Undergraduate: international and EU students

Over 430,000 international students study in the UK every year. Find out the benefits of UK study, how to apply, and how to get a visa.
Relevant to
Studying in the UK
If you're thinking of studying in the UK, watch our video to hear from international students studying in the UK now.
View more videos
Advice for applying to the UK
Watch this video to get tips from international advisers about applying to the UK.
View more videos

Benefits of studying in the UK

Undergraduate courses here can offer a fantastic mix of valuable skills, diverse culture, innovative industries and academic excellence.

How to apply

You do all your research and applying for courses online through the UCAS website.

Firstly, the way that UK higher education works means there are different rules for UK, EU and international students. We’ll highlight the similarities and differences throughout, but it might be worth checking our guide to UK higher education terms too.

  1. Then get started on what to study, when to apply and how to get a place and a visa.
  2. Then find a course, and look out for our advice on how to choose a suitable course and university.
  3. Then start applying, submitting your application before 15 January (18:00 UK time) if possible, (or 15 October 18:00 UK time the year before for Oxford, Cambridge or most medicine, veterinary and dentistry courses).
  4. Then look at finance and support, if you’ll need to arrange visas and to pay course fees or adjust to life in the UK.

Advice for international applications

You can download step-by-step guides here – including guides in other languages – and we have specific tips for international students throughout our website.

EU referendum: what does it mean for you?

If you're an EU national who's applied to study in the UK, you may be concerned about the recent referendum result, and what it means for you. Here are a few things you can do to find out more about Brexit.

  1. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) looks after the interests of international students and those who work with them. Read UKCISA's latest article on the EU referendum.
  2. Take a look at what universities are saying about Brexit – you can find links to their websites in our search tool.
  3. Read the statements below about the latest support arrangements for EU students.

Starting your studies in 2017/18?


EU students will be eligible for student loan and grants, and will continue to be eligible for the duration of their course. Check GOV.UK and the Student Loans Company website for further information.

Northern Ireland

The Northern Irish Government has now confirmed that all EU applicants are able to apply for a tuition fee loan, up to their maximum tuition fee amount.


Eligible EU students will continue to have access to free tuition, including tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).


Eligible EU students will continue to receive support from Student Finance Wales. Read the Welsh Government's website and Universities Wales’ post for more information.

Starting your studies in 2018/19?


The Government has confirmed that EU students will continue to be eligible for financial support, with full access to student loans and grants, even if their course finishes after the UK’s exit from the EU.


The Scottish Government has confirmed that EU nationals are guaranteed free tuition for the duration of their course.

Starting your studies in 2019/20?


The Scottish Government has confirmed that EU nationals are guaranteed free tuition for the duration of their course.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No