Extra is another chance for you to gain a place at university or college, between 28 February and 4 July 2024. If you used all five of your choices on your original application and you’re not holding an offer, you’ll be able to add another choice using Extra.
If you included five choices on your application, have received decisions from all five, and weren’t accepted, or if you declined the offers you received, you will be able to use Extra. If you use Extra to add another choice you cannot reverse this to go back to your original five choices.
If you did not use all your choices in your initial application, you don't need to use Extra, you can just sign in to your application and add another choice, as long as it’s before 30 June, and you’ve not accepted or declined any offers.
If you don’t hold any offers after 5 July, you will be able to add an additional choice using Clearing.
- Find a course you want to apply to.
- Use the filter ‘Show courses with vacancies’ in the UCAS search tool.
- Contact the universities and colleges to check if they’ll consider you.
- Apply for the new course.
- Add the details to your application.
- The university or college will consider your application – if after 21 days you don’t hear back, you can choose to either continue to wait or add a new choice.
- If you receive an offer, reply and subject to meeting entry requirements you’re in.
- If you receive an offer but don’t want to accept it, you can decline it.
- If you’re not offered a place you can search for other courses and add another Extra choice
Tips when considering a choice
- Think about related or alternative subjects, as the entry requirements may be different.
- You can only apply to one course at a time, meaning you won't be able to have an insurance choice.
Once you have received the decision from the university or college, you just need to accept it on your application. If you accept the offer, you won't be able to apply to any more in Extra.
Make sure you reply to the offer by the date shown on your homepage, or your offer will be declined automatically.
If you decline the offer, or you don't get a decision within 21 days, you can add another choice. It might take universities and colleges longer than 21 days to reply – they have until midnight on 12 July to make their decisions, but it's up to you whether you want to wait or replace them with a different choice.
If you don't get the offer you want in Extra, don't worry – you can still use Clearing to add another choice.