Many universities and colleges have initiatives or support programmes in place to help students with care responsibilities.
Relevant to

If you are responsible for providing unpaid care to a family member, partner or friend, you may be able to receive extra support during your studies. This could include financial help, such as a bursary, support with managing your workload and deadlines, or even help with your own health and wellbeing.

There’s a variety of help available for carers, so it’s a good idea to do your research before you apply. We recommend that you contact your university as early as possible to discuss your circumstances and any support needs you may have, however small or major they may seem. This will help you to make a smooth transition to university and succeed in your ongoing studies.

For more help with applying to university as a carer, visit the Carers Trust website

Students with parenting responsibilities

If you are responsible for the care and wellbeing of a child aged 17 or under, there may be additional support to help you succeed in your studies.

Read more about support for students with parenting responsibilities

Young adult carers

Higher education can give young adult carers the independence and skills they need for their chosen career.

There are approximately 375,000 young adult carers (aged 14 to 25) in the UK, all facing different challenges and responsibilities. If you're under the age of 19 and provide regular care and support to a family member, partner, or friend, you may be eligible to access additional support while studying. Below are just two of the many charities providing support, information, and advice to young adult carers.

  • The Carers Trust offers support to those who care, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled, or has mental health or addiction problems – you can find out more at
  • If someone in your family has a life-threatening illness, Hope Support Services can help. Visit their website for more information or watch their video. You might also be interested in watching Ben’s story.

Personal statement advice

As part of your uni application, you’ll need to write a personal statement. UCAS spokesperson, James Durant, has this advice:

Your background as a carer will have given you skills and experiences that can set you apart from other candidates. Writing about your personal journey, and linking it to the subject you want to study will strengthen your application and make it stand out.

Fran's story*

Fran is studying at the University of Winchester and has hopes of doing a master’s. She has been caring for her brother who has autism since she was 11. Fran wants universities to make sure that anyone who does care for someone is recognised from the start.

“In terms of increasing support at university, it is to make sure that anyone who does care for someone is recognised from the start so the university can make sure that they are not alone and know that if they want and need help there is always someone there! Starting university, I did not disclose that I cared for someone on my university application as I thought it was not needed and to be honest did not want to use it as an excuse. However, since telling someone at university the support that I have gained has helped so much. I wished I had said something at the beginning and do recommend disclosing this on the application as you never know the help or opportunities you can get by doing this.”

*Source: Carers Trust guide to 'Supporting students with caring responsibilites'.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No