If you need to provide evidence of exam results but don’t have your original certificates, all is not lost.

You have a number of options, but before you order any replacements, double check which of the following formats are acceptable to whoever has asked you for proof of your exam results. You do have to pay for this service, so make sure before ordering.

Replacement certificates for exams taken in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland

  1. You can apply for a ‘Certified Statement of Results’, which is an official document that lists the subjects you took, the year they were taken, and the grades you achieved.
  2. You can ask for a confirmation letter to be sent to the person/organisation that requested evidence.
  3. Providers and employers can request a verification letter from the awarding body.

Copies of ‘original’ certificates are only available if they have been damaged or defaced, and only for exams taken in or after 2001. You must return your original certificate when you apply for a replacement.

If you need any certificates amending – e.g. if your name is misspelt, or a change is needed due to gender reassignment – contact the relevant awarding body to check what identification you need to submit.

You won’t be able to get your results by phone or email due to Data Protection and security reasons.

Replacement certificates for exams taken in Scotland

You can order replacement certificates for qualifications taken after 1995. If your certificates were issued before 1995, you can request a Certified Statement on SQA certification paper. This is an official document that lists the subjects you took, the year they were taken, and the grades you achieved.

For exam-based Higher National qualifications, you can order a course syllabus which outlines the course content.

How to apply for a Certified Statement of Results

  1. You need to state which exams you took, the exam board that issued the original certificate, and the year you took the exams. If you have no idea where to start, you could:
    • contact your school where you took the exams, tell them the year you left school, and what subjects you took. They will be able to check which awarding bodies were used
    • ask any old school friends you're still in contact with if they still have their certificates, as the awarding body information will be details on those
  2. Provide a photocopy or scan of proof of identity (if your name has changed since you took your exams, you’ll need to provide birth and marriage certificates).
  3. Make the required payment (the cost can vary depending on the exam board, so check the details on the awarding body's website).
  4. Complete the application form enclosing all relevant documentation. It can take up to four weeks to process applications, so bear this in mind if you have a deadline to meet.

Which exam board do you need to apply to?

If you don’t know the exam board, you could contact the school or college where you took the exams, or ask a friend who took the same exams, as they may still have their certificates and will detail the name of the exam board. Find out who to contact if the exam board no longer exists.

In England and Wales, the following awarding bodies offer A levels and GCSEs:

There are a range of other awarding organisations that offer qualifications which aren't A levels or GCSEs. The Ofqual register will provide information on those awarding bodies, and how to contact them.

If you have taken your qualifications in Scotland, such as Highers, Advanced Highers, Nationals, or Intermediates, you will need to contact the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority).

Find out more about who to contact