All you need to know about student finance for mature students.

Funding your studies – what’s available?

Higher education is a major investment in your futureOnce you’ve decided what and where to study, you’ll need to consider how to fund your studies. There are different rates of funding depending on where you live, where you plan to study, and at which level, so check the details carefully before you make your application.  

Applications for student finance open at different times depending on who you need to apply to (Student Finance England (SFE), Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS), etc.). It’s best to apply as early as possible to make sure your finances are ready for the start of course. 

Undergraduate finance and funding 

Maintenance Loans and Grants 

Maintenance Loans and Grants help with living costs, like food, accommodation and travel. The amount you can get is based on things like where and what you'll study, whether you’re planning to study full-time or part-time, and your household income.

Find out how accommodation and maintenance loans work on our accommodation search. 

Tuition fee Loans  

Tuition Fee Loans cover the cost of your undergraduate course fees and are paid directly to the university or college. 

There’s no age limit on eligibility for Tuition Fee Loans. Anyone can apply, providing that they’re going to be studying for their first undergraduate degree.  

Universities and colleges can charge up to £9,250 a year for undergraduate tuition fees to full-time UK and EU students. This amount is set by the governments in each country and will depend on whether you study in or outside your home country. 

Check the tuition fee costs for your course and university in the UCAS search tool.

Depending on where you live, there are different options available, and you will need to apply to different organisations. Each will have different deadlines, so read the following information carefully:


Students from England can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan wherever they choose to study in the UK.

A means-tested Maintenance Loan is available to all students who are eligible for student finance.

Find out more about student finance information for mature students on GOV.UK.

Read more about student finance in England

Northern Ireland

For students who live in Northern Ireland and choose to study at a Northern Irish course provider, the maximum tuition fee is capped. If you choose to study elsewhere in the UK, the costs will be higher. You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the yearly course costs wherever in the UK you choose to study. 

Students can apply for a Maintenance Grant, and eligible students can also get a Special Support Grant.

Read more about student finance in Northern Ireland 


Students from Scotland and the EU (excluding England, Wales, or Northern Ireland) can study for free in Scotland – the Scottish Government pays the yearly course fee on behalf of the student. 

Scottish students who wish to study elsewhere in the UK will be charged the standard tuition fees for their chosen course provider but may apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. 

Students can apply for a means-tested Maintenance Loan wherever in the UK they choose to study. 

Most Scottish undergraduate degrees take four years to complete, compared to three years in the rest of the UK, so this can impact the size of your student loan. For more information, refer to the SAAS guidelines

Read more about student finance in Scotland 


Students from Wales can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of an undergraduate degree anywhere in the UK.

Eligible students can get money towards the cost of accommodation and living costs, and some may also be able to apply for an additional means-tested Maintenance Grant. Maintenance Loans are available to all students.

Find out more about student finance for mature students on the Student Finance Wales website.

Read more about student finance in Wales

EU and international students 

Your eligibility for student finance will depend on where you plan to study, and whether you are from the EU or outside of the EU.

Read more about finance for EU and international students

Finance for part-time study 

You may still be eligible for a student loan if you’re studying part-time. Student Finance England offers loans to students on courses with a ‘course intensity’ of 25% or higher – this is measured by how much of your course you’ll complete each year compared to a full-time student.     

For more information and guidance, refer to the Student Finance England website.

Part-time Tuition Fee Loans:  

  • You’ll need to apply to Student Finance England directly for your loan.  
  • Part-time Tuition Fee Loans aren’t means tested – so you’ll be eligible to apply regardless of your income, and whether you’re currently employed. 
  • There’s no age limit.  
  • The earliest you’ll be asked to start repaying your loan is either the April after your course finishes, or the April four years after your course begins (whichever comes first). 
  • Repayments are linked to your income after graduating – you’ll only start paying your loan back when you earn more than the income threshold.
  • Repayments are taken by your employer automatically, through the UK tax system. 

How is student finance calculated?

Student finance is means-tested and based on your household income. As a mature student there are a few factors that could affect this, such as dependents, employment, and a partner's earnings. SFE have set up a calculator to help clarify what you could be entitled to.

Student finance calculator

Scholarships and bursaries  

Many universities and colleges offer scholarships or bursaries. Check out their individual websites or speak to student services directly (either call or during an open day/visit) for more information or use the Scholarship Hub.

Other grants and support

Extra support for applicants with individual needs, and for those with children and dependants may also be available, such as the Parents’ Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants’ Grant, Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), and others. 

Read more about the additional funding available

There is also help available to fund an Access to Higher Education course, called an Advanced Learner Loan. If you take out an Advanced Learner Loan to study an Access to Higher Education Diploma course, it will be written off once you complete a subsequent higher education course. 

Read more about the Advanced Learner Loan on GOV.UK

Please note that different funding is available if you want to study in Northern Ireland, Scotland, or Wales

Where to apply?  

Where you need to apply for student finance is dependent on where your chosen course is situated.  

Postgraduate finance and funding

Getting funding for postgraduate study isn't always as straightforward as the process for undergraduate study, but there's still a range of options available.

Find out more about postgraduate finance and funding

Teacher training

The finance and funding available for postgraduate teacher training courses varies depending on where in the UK you plan to study.


Northern Ireland



Student finance resources  

Find out more about the different forms of support and help available on the student finance or additional funding sections of our website.