As well as a student loan, there’s other financial support available from a range of sources. Find out more about funding your undergraduate course.

From your course provider

When you search for courses, you can see if any bursaries, scholarships, or awards are available from the course provider. The amounts vary across different courses and locations – check the course listings and contact them for more info.

Some course providers offer their own bursaries to help students progress in their studies. These may be offered to students who are involved in particular projects, in certain subject areas or specialisms. Some may receive funding based on their academic attainment, while other students may be eligible for support because of their personal circumstances. To see what bursaries are available at your university, college, or conservatoire, contact their student services office or visit their website.


If you’re looking to fund your postgraduate course, take a look at the Scholarship Search website, which has information and guides to help you research your study.

Charitable and educational grants and bursaries

There are many charities and educational organisations in the UK which can provide students with additional funding and support, but many students either do not know about them or assume they are not eligible. Do your research to see what you can apply for in addition to your student finance loans/grants – various awards are available based on criteria such as personal circumstances, specific industries/subject areas, or your educational attainment.

Disability Rights UK publish a factsheet which gives lots of detailed, useful advice about applying for bursaries, grants, and scholarships.

Scholarships, grants, and bursaries

NHS careers

Students on eligible healthcare courses may qualify for an NHS Students’ Bursary. For more information, and to find out which courses are eligible, check the NHS website, or the NHS Wales website if you're looking to study in Wales.

Teaching careers

If you’re undertaking teacher training, there may be funding available to support you. It depends on a few different things – such as the type of training route/programme, your degree/teaching subject, where you live, where you’ll study, and your personal circumstances.

Apply from wherever you normally live – through The National College for Teaching and Leadership in England, Discover Teaching in Wales, Student Awards Agency for Scotland and NI Direct in Northern Ireland.

Social work careers

If you’re training for social work, you may get a bursary to help with living costs and tuition fees. The amount won’t depend on household income – instead it’s based on where you live and where you’ll be studying.

Find out more from NHSBSA Social Work Bursaries in EnglandNorthern Ireland Social Care Council, Scottish Social Services Council or Social Care Wales.

Financial support