You are here

Train to teach in Northern Ireland

Find out more about Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes in Northern Ireland.
Relevant to

Routes into teaching

To teach in a primary or post-primary (secondary) school in Northern Ireland, you must have a degree and a recognised teacher training qualification. All teachers are required to register with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI).

There are two routes available to prospective teachers: a four year undergraduate Bachelor of Education (BEd), or a one year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes are available from the following universities and colleges in Northern Ireland:

  • Queen’s University School of Education
  • Saint Mary’s University College
  • Stranmillis University College
  • The Open University
  • The University of Ulster

Applications and entry requirements

UCAS Teacher Training is for postgraduate teacher training programmes in England and Wales. Apply through UCAS Undergraduate for all teacher training programmes in Scotland.

Applications are made directly to the university or college. Check the provider’s website for specific course information, tuitions fees, and entry requirements. For the BEd course at Stranmillis University College, you will need to apply through the UCAS Undergraduate scheme.

It’s likely there will also be some non-academic conditions you’ll need to meet before you can take up your place on the training programme. These include 'eligibility to teach' requirements and Access NI checks. For more information, visit Northern Ireland Department of Education (DENI).

Funding and support

If you’re undertaking teacher training in Northern Ireland, check what funding you might be eligible for by visiting NI Direct – Student Finance.

Teaching in other parts of the UK

  • To teach in an English state school, you must apply for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). With a teaching qualification from a university in Northern Ireland, you may be able to gain QTS without any further training or assessment. For more information, visit the National College for Teaching & Leadership.
  • To teach in Wales, you must apply for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) through the Education Workforce Council (EWC). With a teaching qualification from a university in Northern Ireland, you may be awarded QTS in Wales in recognition of your status.
  • To teach in a Scottish state school, you must be registered with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS). You will need to submit a formal application which will assess your qualifications to make sure they meet the academic study and teacher education criteria.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No