Student finance in Scotland

What financial help can you get?

Tuition fees

If you live in Scotland and choose to study full-time at a Scottish university or college, you will not have to pay tuition fees. However, you will need to apply to SAAS to have your tuition fees paid for you, as this is not automatic.

Scottish students who wish to study elsewhere in the UK will be charged the standard tuition fees for their chosen course provider, but may apply for a loan to cover the costs through SAAS.

Part-time students with an individual income of up to £25,000 per year can apply for a fee grant. The amount paid depends on your course.


The student loan (repayable) is means tested. There are different levels of support available if you are applying as a dependent or independent student, and you don’t need to have a confirmed offer of a place at uni to start the process.

Apply to Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)

Bursaries (non-repayable) are means tested using either your parents’ income or your own household income if you are an independent student, and are available to Scottish students studying anywhere in the UK. Three bursaries are available:

  • The Young Student’s Bursary (YSB) is an annual payment for students aged 25 or younger who are classed as ‘dependent’.
  • The Independent Students’ Bursary (ISB) is an annual payment for independent students.
  • Scottish-domiciled nursing and midwifery students may also apply for a non-income-assessed bursary (plus some additional allowances) for qualifying full-time courses at a Scottish university or college.


Travel expenses – you may be able to claim help with reasonable travel expenses if:

  • you’re on an Allied Health Profession (AHP) course, or taking a nursing diploma/degree and need to travel to a practical placement away from the university
  • studying abroad is a compulsory part of your course – you can claim the cost of your journey abroad and medical insurance