If you’re thinking about undergraduate or postgraduate initial teacher training, you may be eligible for funding.
​Teacher training is a big investment, but there’s often funding available to help you. There are various funding sources to support you through your training programme. It’s not guaranteed, but there are different options you can check out depending on the route you’ve chosen, the subject you want to teach, and your personal circumstances.
  • Scholarships – for certain in-demand subjects, you can apply for a tax-free scholarship to support your training. To be eligible, you will typically need a 2:1 degree or above in the subject you want to teach (or a closely related subject). Visit Get Into Teaching to find out more.
  • Bursaries – tax-free bursaries are available for training to teach a range of subjects. The level of funding and eligibility will vary depending on the subject you choose to teach, and your degree classification. For more information, visit Get Into Teaching.
  • Salaried training – School Direct (salaried) and Teach First are employment-based training programmes for high quality graduates. You’ll earn a salary while you train, and won’t need to pay any tuition fees. Find out more about the different school-based programmes.
  • Tuition fee and maintenance loans – postgraduate and undergraduate trainees are entitled to the same student finance. If you’re looking to train on a non-salaried programme, and you’re not eligible to receive a bursary or scholarship, you can still apply for a student loan to cover your training programme fees and living costs. Find out more from Student Finance England.
  • Extra student funding – if you're on a non-salaried programme, you could access further funding to support your teacher training, such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grants, or Child Tax Credits. The student finance calculator from Student Finance England allows you to estimate the level of funding that may be available.
  • Disabled students and care leavers – universities and colleges have different ways of supporting you in higher education. Check if you are entitled to additional support and funding.

How much are tuition fees?

The amount providers charge varies – for UK and EU students, it can be up to £9,250 per year for a full-time training programme. You can see how much your chosen provider charges on their website.

It's worth considering a number of different routes before you apply. Use our filter to narrow your search and explore your options.

Useful links

Looking for extra advice on banking, budgeting, or managing your student debt?