Student finance in Wales

What financial help can you get?

Tuition fees

If you live in Wales, you can apply for a tuition fee loan (repayable) to cover tuition fees, regardless of where you choose to study in the UK. This will be paid directly to your university or college by Student Finance Wales. You can apply from February, and you don’t need to have a confirmed offer of a place at uni to start the process.

The Welsh government has some useful information about the financial support available on  its website, and you should check Student Finance Wales' guide to what's available.

Apply to Student Finance Wales


All eligible students will receive £1,000 a year for accommodation and living costs. Students may also be eligible for an additional means-tested maintenance grant. The grant amount will be based on household income, with the highest level of support going to those most in need.

Students who do not receive a full grant will also be able to apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance Wales. This is repayable and the amount depends on where you will be living. You can apply from February, and you don’t need to have a confirmed offer of a place at uni to start the process.

Apply to Student Finance Wales

Financial incentives​

The Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol offers additional funding if you study subjects through the medium of Welsh.

Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol has more info – contact them on 01267 610 400 or at


Travel expenses – if you are undertaking a clinical placement in the UK or studying abroad as part of your studies, you may be able to claim some of your costs. This grant can cover expenses such as medical insurance, visas, and vaccinations.

There are extra grants available to help support you through your studies, depending on your personal circumstances. There's help available for students who have childrenadult dependants, or a disability.