Where to study

When choosing a course provider there's a lot to consider, especially as each one has unique specialities, character and student profiles.

Take a look below at some of the key considerations.

Elle Boag

'I’ve achieved more than I thought possible' – not content with 'staid acceptance' of her disability, Elle went on to study and subsequently lecture other undergraduates. Hear her story in this video, or read her story in the Related case studies below.

Compare courses

  • Use our search tool to check course content, assessment methods, entry requirements and fees.
  • Check university and college websites and prospectuses too – and find out what modules are compulsory and what options you might have.
  • Have a look at Unistats to compare data on different courses.


  • You can use our search tool to search by location.
  • Contact admissions teams for additional information and attend open days or outreach activities to get a feel for the place.
  • Many further education colleges now offer higher education courses too, so that might help if you want to stay close to home.


  • Many course providers have halls of residence – often just for first-year students, some with catering, some single-sex and increasingly with specific housing provision for mature students and their spouses and/or children.
  • You should contact the course provider's accommodation office early – particularly if you need family accommodation.

I have achieved far more than I ever thought possible, and turned my life from one of staid acceptance of being disabled, to one that is active, challenging and rewarding, and ultimately allows me to enthuse and encourage other adults to aim for academic achievements."

Elle Boag, Southampton University. Read the full case study here.


  • Course providers have student services offices that can tell you what childcare support is available, the cost and whether you'll have sufficient time to study.
  • Contact them early – as facilities vary and there's often competition for places – and contact the Daycare Trust if you'd like advice on childcare facilities within higher education.

Full-time or part-time

  • If you have work, family commitments or any preference not to study full-time, take a look at the different ways you could study part-time.
  • The admissions teams at each uni and college can also advise you on the part-time options available for their courses.