What is an internship?
An internship allows you to spend time in a company, to learn new skills and gain experience in a particular industry or job role. Think of an internship programme like a fixed period of work experience – this work experience gives you the opportunity to improve your understanding of a particular job or industry.
- You can either shadow a professional, or work for a company.
- Some internships are unpaid – particularly if competition is high.
- You'll understand what a particular role is like, and gain real life work experience.
Things to consider
- What do you want to get out of it?
- Will you be paid or unpaid? Understand your situation from the start.
- Competition for places is high, so you need to apply early.