Welcome to The Open University
We bring university to you. We’ve pioneered supported distance learning for over 50 years and are the world leaders in high-quality distance education.
Our flexible approach to learning means you can study from home around your job, family and life. So you can gain a recognised qualification without putting your life on hold. Plus, you’ll receive expert tutor support every step of the way and join our community of learners in the UK and 157 countries worldwide.
The Open University was established by Royal Charter on 23 April 1969. We’ve come a long way since then, constantly innovating our teaching and research at every step to make sure that our founding mission – enabling access to education for all – remains as relevant now as it did over 50 years ago.
What makes us different
An OU qualification is just as rigorous and respected as one from a campus-based university and is highly valued by employers. What’s different is our unique approach to learning, which means you don’t have to put your life on hold.
- We are the largest UK university for undergraduate education.
- 70% of our students are already in work, balancing their careers with their studies.
- An OU qualification is widely respected by businesses, with 80% of FTSE 100 companies sponsoring staff to study with us.
- More CEOs and Managing Directors of UK companies have studied with us than any other UK university.
- 87% of our alumni say studying with us helped them achieve their career goals.
- Throughout our 49-year partnership with the BBC, we’ve co-produced numerous TV and radio series – like Sir David Attenborough’s Frozen Planet II and The Green Planet.