Mark as read
Customer Experience Centre closed: 29 May

Our offices will be closed on Monday 29 May 2017. We will open again as usual at 08:30 (UK time) on Tuesday 30 May.

The programmes explained – undergraduate

University and college options for teacher training. On these programmes, you will be based at university or college, and get classroom placements.
Relevant to

University-led: Bachelor of Education (BEd) degrees

Bachelor of Education (BEd) programmes typically last three years. In a university-led training programme, students explore the principles of teaching and learning. Training programme content will vary dependent on the provider, however, students tend to cover core subjects (English, maths and science) in their initial year of study before a more in depth focus on their subjects and teaching practice.

An undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching. BEds are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers. Some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for specific specialisms. As part of the training programme, you will train and teach in at least two schools.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS

Focused on developing specialist subject knowledge required to teach, a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science route is popular with prospective secondary school teachers. Not commonly used for those wanting to study for primary teacher training programmes, most providers only offer this route for secondary teaching, although some providers do offer primary options.

Typically, students will explore in depth their chosen specialism during the first year of study, while prospective primary teachers establish a deep understanding of the pedagogy of the teaching of learning. Years two and three of study are centred on school experience to prepare you for the workplace.​

Future Teaching Scholars programme

This six year, full-time programme is for oustanding A level students with a passion for maths or physics. It offers financial support during your undergraduate years, as well as employment-based teacher training after you graduate. Applicants must be planning to study a maths or physics-related degree at a university in England.

Following three years of undergraduate study, the fourth year is centred on postgraduate teacher training, with years five and six spent being employed in a school as a maths or physics teacher.

Apply via Future Teaching Scholars

Want to find out more about your teacher training options?

Sign up to receive our online teacher training information pack, a free step-by-step guide to applying for a teacher training programme. In addition, you’ll receive a monthly email full of hints and tips, including advice from other students who’ve already been through the UCAS Teacher Training application process.