Extra is another chance for you to gain a place at university or college, between 25 February and 4 July. If you used all five of your choices on your original application and you’re not holding an offer, you’ll be able to add another choice using Extra.
If you included five choices on your application, have received decisions from all five, and weren’t accepted, or if you declined the offers you received, you will be able to use Extra.
If you did not use all your choices in your initial application, you can just sign in to your application and add another choice, as long as it’s before 30 June, and you’ve not accepted or declined any offers. Remember, if you originally only applied to one choice and want to add more, you’ll be asked to pay the extra £4.50 application fee.
If you don’t hold any offers after 5 July, you will be able to add an additional choice using Clearing.
- Find a course you want to apply to.
- Use the filter ‘Show courses with vacancies’ in the UCAS search tool.
- Contact the universities and colleges to check if they’ll consider you.
- Apply for the new course.
- Add the details to your application.
- If you’re applying to a new subject, you may want to add a new personal statement to strengthen your application.
- The university of college will consider your application – if after 21 days you don’t hear, you can choose to either continue to wait or add a new choice.
- If you receive an offer, reply and subject to meeting entry requirements you’re in!
- If you receive an offer but don’t want to accept it, you can decline it.
- If you’re not offered a place you can search for other courses and add another Extra choice
For more details, take a look at our FAQs.
Tips when considering a choice
Once you have received the decision from the university or college, you just need to accept it on your application. If you accept the offer, you won't be able to apply to any more in Extra.
If you don't get the offer you want in Extra, don't worry – you can still use Clearing to add another choice.
Am I eligible to use Extra?
How will I know if I am eligible to use Extra?
Do I have to pay an additional fee to use Extra?
What if I’m still waiting for decisions from some of my choices when Extra opens?
How many Extra choices can I make?
Will all the universities have places available in Extra for all their courses?
How can I apply through Extra if the course I want isn’t available?
If I want to use Extra, but I haven’t received decisions from some of my original choices what should I do?
Is it true that if the university or college doesn’t make a decision within 21 days I have to replace them with another Extra choice?
Is there a deadline for when I have to reply to an offer I’ve received in Extra?
If I’m offered a place through Extra, do I have to accept it as my firm choice, or can I accept it as an insurance choice and send my application to another university or college?
I’m applying for a different subject, can I change my personal statement?
If I accept a place in Extra, can I decline it and go into Clearing later?
I only made four choices because I applied for medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or veterinary science courses, and I’ve been unsuccessful with all of them. How can I use Extra as I haven’t used all five choices?