Foundation apprenticeships are available if you’re in your 5th or 6th year at secondary school in Scotland. You complete a foundation apprenticeship alongside other qualifications, like Highers and National 5s.
Foundation apprenticeships last one or two years and you spend some time out of school to complete the apprenticeship. They help build up your skills for work and you gain a recognised qualification at the end.
- You need to be in your 5th or 6th year at a secondary school in Scotland to qualify
- You do not get paid for a foundation apprenticeship; you are not considered an employee
If you’re interested in a foundation apprenticeship, speak to your school to understand what opportunities are available.
What industries are foundation apprenticeships available in?Foundation apprenticeships are most widely available at SCQF Level 6 (the same level of learning as an SQA Higher). Some are also available at SCQF Levels 4 and 5.
Level 4 and 5 apprenticeships are available in:
- business skills
- creative and digital media
- engineering and civil engineering
- financial services
- food and drink technologies
- hardware and system support
- scientific technologies
- social services, children and young people
- social services and healthcare
- software development