If you're studying an undergraduate course, you could get a Tuition Fee Loan. A Tuition Fee Loan covers the cost of the fees charged by your university or college. Content provided by Student Finance England.

Full-time undergraduate applications for 2024 to 2025 are now open!

Apply online now, it takes less than 30 minutes to complete.

You’ll need to repay any loans you borrow, but not until you’ve finished or left your course, and your income is over the repayment threshold.

The following information is for full-time students – find out about Tuition Fee Loans for part-time students.

What's available?

Most students won’t have to pay for tuition fees up front – you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to pay your fees.

How much you can get depends on:

  • how much your university or college charges
  • whether you’re studying at a publicly or privately funded university or college
  • when you started your course

You could get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 if you're studying at an eligible uni or college. If you're studying an accelerated degree course, you could get up to £11,100.

If you're not sure if a course qualifies for student finance, check with the uni or college.



Whether you can get student finance depends on your:

  • personal circumstances
  • course
  • uni or college

How it's paid

You need to register at your uni or college before Student Finance England can make your first payment. You’ll usually do this in the first week of your course, and you may have to take your student finance entitlement letter with you.

Your Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college in three instalments during the academic year.

When are payments made to your uni or college? How much is paid to your uni or college?
At the start of term one 25% of the tuition fee
At the start of term two 25% of the tuition fee
At the start of term three 50% of the tuition fee

How to apply

Full-time undergraduate applications for 2024 to 2025 are now open!

Apply online now, it takes less than 30 minutes to complete.

When you apply for student finance, you'll need to agree to Student Finance England's terms and conditions.

Student Finance England’s Guide to Terms and Conditions

New students

It’s important to apply as soon as possible so your funding is in place for starting your course.

  1. Set up a student finance account
    When you register, you’ll be given a unique Customer Reference Number, and will need to create a password and secret answer. You should keep these safe, as you’ll need them to log in to your account to check the progress of your application, and reapply for student finance next year.
  2. Fill in and submit your application
    The first time you apply, you’ll be asked for proof of identity. You can easily do this by providing your valid UK passport details. If you don’t have a UK passport, you may have to send evidence.
    If you want to apply for student finance that depends on your household income, Student Finance England will ask your parents or partner for their National Insurance number, and their personal income details.
    You will also need the following information to complete your finance application:
    • course start date
    • bank account details
    • National Insurance number – don't worry if you don't know your National Insurance number, or where to find it. HMRC has made it quick and easy to find this information – all you have to do is register your details. This means you no longer have to contact HMRC directly to obtain your National Insurance number
  3. Submit any evidence you're asked for
    Student Finance England may contact you, or your parents/partner, to ask for evidence to support your application. If you’ve had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an ‘independent student’.

Tuition fee only students

If you qualify for tuition fee only funding, application forms are available to download at www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

You should fill in a paper application form and send it to Student Finance England at the following address:

Student Finance Service
Student Loans Company
PO Box 89
County Durham
United Kingdom

Continuing students

You should re-apply online as soon as possible to get some money in time for starting your course. 

Tuition fee only students should re-apply using the relevant academic year EUPR1a form available to download at www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms.


Proof of identity

UK nationals

Include your valid UK passport details in your application the first time you apply.

If you don’t have a UK passport (or it has expired), you can upload a copy of your UK birth or adoption certificate to your online account.

Non-UK and non-EU nationals

If you’re a non-UK and non-EU national, you will need to send us your original passport or Home Office biometric residence permit card.

You’ll also need to provide us with proof of your lawful residency status in the UK for the full 3 years prior to the start of your course. Your biometric residence permit card or proof of your visa stamped in your passport are both acceptable forms of evidence to prove your status. We’ll return your original documents using a secure method of post.

It’s important to apply early and send us your evidence as soon as possible. We’ll return your evidence as soon as we’ve checked it, so you don’t need to worry about being without your original documents for long.

Don't send your original documents to us if you’re due to travel within 8 weeks as we can’t guarantee they’ll be sent back in time. Instead, you should send the evidence when you return from travelling.

Changing your details

Before your initial course start date, you can tell Student Finance England about any changes by filling in a ‘Change of Circumstances’ form, which you can download from www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/change-an-application.

After your course start date, you’ll need to ask your university or college to tell us about any of the following changes:

  • your tuition fee amount
  • your course details
  • your course intensity
  • you repeat a year
  • you leave higher education
  • suspend your studies