What financial help can you get?

Tuition fees

If you live in Wales, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan (repayable) to cover tuition fees, regardless of where you choose to study in the UK. This will be paid directly to your university or college by Student Finance Wales. You don’t need to have a confirmed offer of a place at uni to start the process.

The Welsh Government has some useful information about the financial support available on its website, and you should check Student Finance Wales' guide to what's available.

Apply to Student Finance Wales

Help with living costs

Students may also be eligible for a mixture of loan and grant to help with living costs. The amount you could get is based on your household income..

Find out more on Student Finance Wales website

Financial incentives​

The Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol offers additional funding if you study subjects through the medium of Welsh.

Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol has more info – contact them on 01267 610 400 or at gwybodaeth@colegcymraeg.ac.uk.


Travel Grant – if you’re studying abroad, or you’re a healthcare student on a placement in the UK, you can apply for a grant to cover extra travel costs. How much you get depends on your household income and when you started your course. You do not have to pay it back.

There are extra grants available to help support you through your studies, depending on your personal circumstances. There's help available for students who have childrenadult dependants, or a disability.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

DSA helps cover some of the extra study-related costs you may incur due to an impairment, mental health condition or learning difference. It's non-repayable and in addition to other student finance. 

The amount you get depends on your individual needs not your income, nor that of your parents or partner. There are some restrictions on what you may use DSA for and regional differences, so check the details carefully.

More about DSA in Wales