Mark as read

Planned maintenance: 15 – 17 December

Due to planned maintenance, the services below will be unavailable from 20:00 on Friday 15 December until 23:59 (UK time) on Sunday 17 December:

  • UCAS Undergraduate Apply and Track
  • UCAS Conservatoires Apply and Track
  • UCAS Teacher Training Apply, Track, and the search tool
  • UCAS Postgraduate Apply
During this time, you won’t be able to work on your application, sign in to Track, or use the UCAS Teacher Training search tool.
Mark as read

Customer Experience Centre availability – 13 December

Our Customer Experience Centre will close at 15:45 (UK time) on Wednesday 13 December for staff training. It will open again, as usual, at 08:30 (UK time) on Thursday 14 December.

UCAS Undergraduate: support for care leavers

If you're a care leaver applying to higher education, there's support available to help you with finance, settling in, and accommodation.
Relevant to
'How to' video for care leavers
Find out what help is available for care leavers, and other students tell us about their experiences.
View more videos

Remember to tick the box on your UCAS application to let the university or college you're applying to know you have been in care.

Take a look at our  Care leavers guide which explains the reasons why we encourage you to tick the box in the care questions on your application.

This is confidential and won't be used against you! It does, however, let the right person at the university or college know that you might need financial or other support, and can help you put that in place before you start your course.

Finding support

Universities and colleges

To find out what the university or college you're applying to can offer, it's best to contact them directly. There are a number of ways to do this.

Take a look at the information on their website. Try typing into an internet search engine the name of the university + care leaver to help you find pages on their website about what they can offer you.


Visit Become's website Propel. 

You'll find general information about moving into higher education from care, alongside specific details about the support individual unis and colleges across the UK offer. Each uni or college has its own page, containing an overview of its courses and the specific support it can give care leavers. 

You'll be able to make an informed choice about the right course at the right place for you, and make sure you're aware of all the support you're entitled to.

National Network for the Education of Care Leavers 

The NNECL website provides information on events and further resources.

Students not supported by their family (estranged)

If you're applying for student finance through Student Finance England or Wales: if you are not supported by your family (estranged), you can find information about support, financing your studies and accommodation options in the StandAlone student guide