Discover how to apply to study in the UK as an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. Make sure you've got your documents ready and are prepared to act quickly to avoid any delays.

Worldwide students

Who needs to apply?

Citizens from countries in the EU, EEA and Switzerland who do not have EU settled status (or pre-settled status) require a student visa to study in the UK.

It's expected that there'll be high demand for UK student visas this summer. Remember to apply for your student visa as early as possible as soon as you have received your Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS) from your education provider. August is the peak month for UK student visa applications. Beat the rush and apply before August, if possible, to allow time to travel for September course start dates.

You can apply six months before your course start date.

See the latest student visa decision waiting times.

Extra information

If you have a biometric passport, you may be able to verify your identity using the UK Immigration: ID Check app and complete your entire application online. This means you won't need to visit a Visa Application Centre (VAC) to provide your fingerprints and photo.

Students wishing to travel in a hurry may be able to pay for a faster decision on their visa

Settled status

If you're from the EU and you started your course before 31 December 2020, you can apply under the EU Settlement scheme to remain in the UK after this date to complete your studies.

  1. Prepare your supporting documents

    See what supporting documents you'll need. 
  2. Apply on the government website

    Go to to start your application. 

    Apply as soon as your get your Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS) from your education provider to avoid any unnecessary delays. 

  3. Proof of identity

    This will depend on where you're from and what type of passport you have. 

    If you have a biometric passport, you may be able to use the UK Immigration: ID Check app

  4. Upload your supporting documents

  5. Wait for your decision

    You'll get this via email. Don't forget to check your spam/junk folders!

Supporting documents

You'll need: 

  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number
  • A valid passport/travel document 

You might need:

How much does it cost?

  • A standard Student visa application costs £348 if you apply from outside the UK, and £475 if you apply when you are already in the UK.
  • If you choose to apply using the priority or super priority service, for a faster decision on your visa, the fee is more expensive. These services may be available in some countries but not others. You may also be able to choose other optional services, such as document checking or interpretation, for an additional cost.
  • As well as the visa application fees, you will need to pay the immigration health surcharge. This is £470 for each year of the visa for which you are applying. For example, £1,410 for a three-year visa.

Where can I get further information?

UKVI also offers useful general advice and guidance on student immigration processes, and has further details about the Student route.

If you need individual visa advice, ask an adviser from the university or college you hold an offer from, or a qualified immigration adviser in the UK or your country.

If you begin a course of study in the UK that is longer than six months, you must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application. From 1 January 2022, EU and Swiss full-time students studying in the UK can apply for a reimbursement of the IHS. Further details on eligibility for reimbursement are available on the UK Government’s website.