What does a computer service and repair technician do?
Computer service and repair technicians repair and maintain computer hardware, and install and repair computer software. Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- installing new IT systems
- upgrading existing hardware and software
- visiting home users to set up their PCs or fix faulty equipment
- testing systems to make sure they are working properly
- servicing printers, scanners and other office equipment
- preparing cost estimates for new installations
What do I need to do to become a computer service and repair technician?
You do not need any formal qualifications to become a computer service technician, but good IT skills are essential for this job.
You may improve your chances of finding work by taking a computer or electronics qualification at college. Alternatively, you may be able to start this job through an apprenticeship with an IT company.
Where could I be working?
You may work directly for a company as part of their IT team, or you may work for a specialist outsourcing company which carries out IT functions for a number of businesses.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0