Getting funding for postgraduate study isn’t always as straightforward as undergraduate study, but there’s still a range of options you can look into.
Apply for a postgraduate loan
You could be eligible for a loan from the UK government of up to £10,000.
Other sources of loans
Professional and Career Development Loans can be used for courses or training programmes that help you with your career.
Tuition fee reductions
Studying a second master’s, or another equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ)?
If you’re now doing another postgraduate course at the same level as one you’ve already completed, you’ll have to pay the full tuition fees.
International and EU students
EU students are eligible for the course provider’s public funding, but other international students usually pay the full costs. However you may be eligible for other funding options below.
Search for funding
- Take a look at the Scholarship Search website.
- Use the Prospects postgraduate funding search.
- Look for government funding from the seven UK Research Councils – for this option you’d normally apply through your course provider.
- Apply for Postgraduate Studentships – postgraduate positions that come with funding.
- Charities and employers are also potential sources of funding.
This funding covers the cost of the support you need – e.g. specialist equipment and nonmedical helpers – like a note-taker or reader.
- First you’ll need either a letter from your doctor or consultant confirming your impairment or health condition, or a diagnostic assessment of your learning difficulty from a psychologist or specialist teacher.
- Then you apply for DSA through your regional funding organisation – Student Finance England, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales. It can take up to three months to arrange, so apply early.
- If you’re eligible you’ll then have an assessment to work out what you need – find an assessment centre near your course provider via the DSAs Quality Assurance Group website.
- Once everything’s arranged, the money will be paid directly to your service/equipment providers, or to your bank account.