No offers? Use Clearing
Use our Clearing service to find a new course
- It's available July to September each year.
- If you already have your exam results but you have no offers, you can use Clearing from July.
- If you had conditional offers but your exam results didn't go to plan, you can use Clearing from results day, when Clearing vacancies will be listed in our search tool.
If your exam results are reasonable and you're flexible on subject/location, there's still a good chance you'll find another course.
How Clearing works
- You'll know you're in Clearing if your Track status says 'You are in Clearing' or 'Clearing has started'.
- If your Track doesn't say either of these yet, it might just be waiting for your results to update. Get in touch with the universities/colleges if it's taking a while – they might still be considering you, even if your results are a bit lower than required.
- If you originally only applied for one course (for the reduced fee of £12) you'll have to pay an additional £11 to enable you to apply for multiple courses.
Talk to an adviser at your school, college, centre or careers office – they can talk you through alternative courses/subjects.
We have the official vacancy list online, and The Telegraph newspaper shows them too.
- Consider different subjects – you don't have to stick with your original idea.
- The online list is updated continually – you might not find the exact unis/colleges/courses you're looking for – some might be full, but some might get vacancies later on, so keep checking back.
Give them your Clearing number (located on the welcome and choices pages in Track), and your Personal ID number which will let them see your application online.
- Ask if they'd accept you – they might reconsider you (maybe for the same course) even if you applied to them earlier in the year.
- Get informal offers over the phone – maybe from a variety of universities and colleges – then decide which one you want to accept.
- Take a look around – if you have the time, it's the best way to see what a university/college is like – most will be happy to meet you and show you around.
Please only add a Clearing choice once you've had confirmation from the university that they're happy to offer you a place.
- Click 'Add Clearing choice' and fill in the course details by the date the university/college gave you on the phone.
- This counts as you definitely accepting the offer, so if they confirm it'll show as an acceptance on the choices page of Track and we'll send you a confirmation letter.
- You can only add one choice at a time, but if the university/college doesn't confirm your place, you'll be able to add another.
As part of Clearing 2015 we're introducing a new service to help you if you find yourself without a university or college place in the summer.
- If you're eligible, we'll have sent you an email asking if you'd like to use this service. You can sign up via the link in the email.
- The service is entirely optional. If you sign up, unis and colleges can phone you from 13 August - 4 September if you're eligible for Clearing and they have a relevant course for you.
- A maximum of five universities or colleges may contact you.
- If you sign up you can still go through Clearing in the same way as previous years – if you want to.
- You don’t have to accept any offers, and should consider all your options before committing to a place.
There's more information in our new service for Clearing FAQs