It’s important to know what mental health and wellbeing support is available to you during your studies – and how to access it.

Support available at university or college

Wellbeing services team 

Depending on your university, this may have a different name – it’s a good idea to find out what services they offer and how to get in touch with them before you arrive. 

This would usually be your first place to get information about what's available at your university – from general wellbeing support to help with a specific mental health condition or difficulty.

Check your university website for their wellbeing pages.

Mental health advisers 

Student support teams often include specialist advisers dedicated to helping students with mental health difficulties. This help is not limited to people with diagnosed conditions – it’s available to all students who'd like support to cope with any aspect of life. You don’t have to wait until you arrive at university or college to contact the mental health adviser. In fact, it’s a good idea to contact them when you've been offered a place on the course, so they can ensure you’re fully supported and feel confident when you arrive.

UMHAN (University Mental Health Advisers Network)

Counselling services

Most universities and colleges provide counselling for students who need emotional support. Student services or the students’ union (or other student body) can give you information about what’s available – make sure you check the university or college website too.

Medical support

Most campuses have an on-site medical centre, so if you require ongoing medical care, you can arrange this in advance. Alternatively, there will be GP services in your area – speak to the wellbeing team or student support services will be able to give more details.

Tools and resources

Some universities offer wellbeing apps, tools and other services (e.g. Nightline) specifically for their students – the details will be available from the wellbeing team or student support services, and check the website.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Students who incur extra study-related costs as a result of a physical or mental health condition or learning difference can apply for DSAs. You apply for DSAs alongside student finance, and they enable you to get the support you need at university or college – the amount you receive depends on your individual needs following a needs assessment.

If you are not sure you are eligible, it’s worth applying. Even if you don’t get a DSA, you can still get help from your university or college – remember to share an impairment or condition in the UCAS application so they can arrange support for you.

Read more about DSAs

International students

If you are applying to university as an international student, you can access support for your mental health and wellbeing from the university or college – and share a condition using the UCAS application. 

Mental health support as an international student from UKCISA

The Charlie Waller Trust's guide for international students

Get the right support for your individual circumstances

By making sure you have the right support for your personal circumstances, you'll be looking after your mental health and wellbeing too.  

Support for students with individual support needs

Where to get more support and information