Parent newsletters – sign up
- Download in-depth information: Parent, Guardian, and Carer Guide 2020 entry (1.58 MB)
- Check the latest definitions of all the terms used in higher education.
- Applying from outside the UK?
- Download our International undergraduate guide for parents.
- We've also created a guide on applying to study an undergraduate qualification in the UK, in 13 different languages.
Do you have limited internet access?
You can download and print our PDF guide to the application form (1.62 MB), to see what’s required for the application process – including help text. But, we do not accept paper applications.
Important – students will still need to register and complete their application online.
What you need to know about the application process
There are a few different stages to the process – and deadlines vary depending on the course – so the earlier the application is started, the better.
We've created a handy tool to guide you through the application process, so you can stay up-to-date with what applicants need to do when. It contains links to useful pages of the website, which you can share to point students in the right direction.
Know your rights!
Choosing the right course at the right university is an important decision, involving a significant investment of time and money. Did you know that students have specific rights under consumer law? Universities have obligations to provide the information students need to make informed decisions, as well as obligations to treat them fairly during their studies.
To find out more, take a look at the information on our website.
- Start research early – there are a lot of higher education options to choose from!
- Know the deadlines – for some courses, the application deadline is almost a year in advance of when the course starts.
- Browse through courses – so they can work out what they would enjoy or be interested in.
- Go to UCAS events and course provider open days – speak to us and higher education staff to get answers to their questions.
- Check entry requirements – make sure they can get the grades they need to get a place on a course.
- Redraft their personal statement – get plenty of feedback and refine it until they’re happy.
- Understand student finance – so they can make the best arrangements to fund their studies.
- Be prepared for results day – make sure they’re prepared for all the possible outcomes.
- Understand how Extra and Clearing work – different ways to apply for more courses.
- Visit our Facebook and Twitter regularly to get advice and ask questions.