If you’re estranged from your parents and are looking for additional information about the support available, here are just some of the organisations and charities that can help.
  • Stand Alone is a charity supporting people who have become estranged from their parents. Their Student Support Portal provides detailed advice and support about finances and accommodation for young people entering higher education.
  • Many universities and colleges have pledged their commitment to supporting students who do not have the support or approval of their parents due to a breakdown in the relationship through the Stand Alone Pledge. Their website gives details of the 'champion institutions' who have taken the Pledge, along with details of the support they have committed to, and you can also listen to estranged students talk about their own experiences of higher education. Not all universities and colleges who offer support for estranged students have signed the Pledge, so if you don't see your choice on the website, it doesn't mean they can't help you. Check the university's website, or contact their student services office to see what's available.
  • Read Stand Alone’s blog about how estranged students can get help at uni.
  • Buttle UK helps young people in difficult situations access education, employment, and training. They offer a range of support packages, including grants – find out more.
  • The Unite Foundation provides free accommodation and a scholarship fund for young people in difficult circumstances who wish to enter higher education – find out more.
  • Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants, and other support services.
  • Brightside is a charity dedicated to helping young people achieve their potential. They provide information and support for those considering higher education through their website, Bright Knowledge, and their 'Realising Opportunities' programme through selected universities.
  • The NUS is working in partnership with Stand Alone to ensure estranged students’ voices are heard, and their needs understood. The NUS Connect Welfare Zone offers practical advice and guidance, and you can visit your students’ union via the university’s website to find out what support they can offer.
  • The EaCES Handbook is written by estranged and care experienced students (EaCES) to bring together information and advice to help others – including their own experiences and practical tips.
  • This Is Us is an online community for estranged and care-experienced students in the UK. This safe space allows students to connect, give each other support, share info, arrange meet-ups and more. It’s free, national and open to all ages and years of study.

More info and advice if you're going it alone

If you don’t have support from your parents due to a breakdown in your relationship, you will find everything you need to know here to help you prepare for uni life.