This teacher-led discussion will outline the various options available for students when they leave school or college, helping you showcase the range of routes there are – and to encourage them to continue studying, whether it is at university or elsewhere.
We've included two versions, including a Powerpoint document you can edit and expand on as you need.
Use our teacher notes to guide the discussion, find additional resources, ways to adapt this for different year groups. and some follow-on activities for students.
- Encourage broader thinking about their future plans.
- Understanding of the different types of HE options available, along with their benefits and drawbacks.
- Reflection on whether any of the options might suit them.
- To encourage those who had not previously considered it, to explore going into HE.
- Start thinking about their future qualification choices (A levels, IB, Scottish Highers, Welsh Baccalaureate, BTECs) and which might be the best route for them.
- Ice-breaker activity: Ask students, in pairs, to think up ideas of what their options are after school.
- Using the slides, outline the broad options available.
- Go through the slides to explore each option – pause each at the title element, then ask students to quickly reflect and see if they can come up with some benefits and considerations
- Compare answers with those included on the slides. Depending on your cohort, you might want to focus more on certain slides than others.