Find additional financial support for travel, meals and accommodation costs, course equipment, and childcare from one of these schemes.

It’s important to remember that you won't have to pay any course fees if you're staying on in education or training at a school, college, or with a training provider, and you're under the age of 19. 

The 16 — 19 Bursary Fund

This can help with essential education-related costs like:

  • lunch
  • equipment for your course
  • transport to and from your school or college

You can get up to £1,200 a year if you're in care, a care leaver or you receive certain benefits. Discretionary bursaries may also be available — check if you're eligible and for how much by asking your school, college or training provider's student support services.

Help with travel and accommodation costs

Travel costs

In England and Wales, your local authority may offer discounts and concessions for travel to sixth form or college. More about subsidised transport for 16 — 19 year olds

Accommodation costs

You might be able to get help with the cost of term-time accommodation if you need to study away from home for a Level 2 or Level 3 qualification (equivalent to GCSEs and A levels). You could also qualify if the course is too far away for you to travel to daily. More about the Residential Support Scheme.

Care to Learn

You can get help with childcare costs while you’re studying publicly funded courses in England. (You can’t get this funding if you’re doing a paid apprenticeship.) More about Care to Learn.

Dance and Drama Award

Get help with fees and living costs at one of 19 private dance and drama schools. You must be studying one of the Level 5 or Level 6 Trinity College London diplomas. You must also be 16 or over and show talent and likelihood to succeed in the industry. More about Dance and Drama Awards.

Educational Grants

You may be able to get financial help from a charitable trust. Use the Family Action Educational Grants Search

Other funding

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) — if you’re studying in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales you may be able to claim EMA. It's not available in England.
  • You may be able to find more information by looking on your local authority website.
  • Support for students with SEND statements or assessments will be funded through locally managed funding.